It’s Valentine’s Day and you are asked out for dinner. Yet, you are pregnant, and the menu is the lobster bisque. You might be super careful about your pregnancy, and have been questioning various kind of diets and their safety to be eaten during your precious pregnancy. This lobster bisque on Valentine’s Day might be one of them. We all know lobster bisque is delicious, but when you are getting pregnant, taste may not be number one anymore. The safety of the food has beaten just the taste. Thus, it is totally normal when you, as a pregnant woman wonder whether you can enjoy a bowl of lobster bisque without harming your pregnancy.
Why eat Lobster Bisque
Bisque is a French dish prepared from crustaceans, such as lobster, crab, and shrimp. Lobster bisque has been one of the most popular soup menu in various fancy restaurants. It is made by boiling up the lobster and extract the remaining broth. The broth is mixed with cream and other herbs and seasonings into the smooth-textured soup. Compared to the broth-based clear soup, lobster bisque contains more calories, yet it is still in a considerably safe amount. A bowl of lobster bisque may contain only the lobster broth or added with the lobster meat, which also adds extra calories to the cream soup. Lobster is a good source of protein and calories. It also contains low amount of fat. Lobster is also low in mercury so that it is safe to eat. In addition, lobster is enriched with amino acids, magnesium, and various kinds of vitamin. Similar to other kinds of seafood, lobster is believed to be contaminated by mercury. It indeed contains mercury, but in low level which your body is able to handle. Hence, lobster is not harmful for your body and unborn baby. When you cook your own lobster bisque, you can replace the heavy cream with the light one to reduce the calories. You can also simply remove the lobster meat and cook only the extracted broth. Overall, lobster bisque is one of those kinds of healthy dishes.
Can Pregnant Woman eat Lobster Bisque?
When hearing that lobster contains mercury, you might be reluctant to add it into your pregnancy diet list. However, lobster has very low amount of mercury, so that it is healthy and safe to be consumed when you are pregnant. As usual, you have to be cautious about all dishes you are consuming while pregnant. Of course you can eat your bowl of lobster bisque, with certain conditions.
- You have to make sure that the lobsters—and all shellfish or crustaceans you are about to eat are fully cooked. It is important to make sure that no bacteria is entering your body and may harm your pregnancy.
- All kinds of seafood, including lobster should only be your occasional food during pregnancy. Do not consume it every day, as they might contain high amount of sodium and cholesterol that might increase your blood pressure and harm your baby.
- Most of lobster bisque served in restaurants use heavy cream that contains higher fat compared to the light one. Thus, when you are cooking your own meals, replacing the heavy cream with the light one can be a healthier solution.
- You can add various kinds of healthy vegetables into your lobster bisque. Vegetables are really important during pregnancy and for your baby’s growth during her first years. You can add boiled broccoli, asparagus or mushroom to make a healthier lobster bisque. Those kinds of vegetables contain beneficial folate acid to support your pregnancy. It is an important substance for your baby growth and to avoid any possible defects.
- As for the portion, do not eat too much. Eat in moderate amount and frequency. You should calculate all nutrients going inside your body to maximize your baby growth.
Lobster bisque is a delicious treat. It is nutritious and is a healthy choice of diet. During pregnancy, it is safe for you to consume the dish, but not every day and in moderate amount. You do not want to over satisfy your craving and end up harming you unborn baby.